Tuesday, May 11, 2010

An Apple Meditation


'Anyone can count and tell you how many seeds are in the apple, but only God can tell you how many apples are in each seed.'

How to mindfully eat an apple and turn snacking into a profound meditative experience. Wonderful.

'Mindfulness makes life beautiful and meaningful. When I am mindful of my in-and-out breath and relax my whole body, I am in touch with how good it is to be alive. I can be aware of the beauty of the sky, the smile of the flower, the singing of the birds. I can be deeply in touch with my own suffering and hold it with love and tenderness, rather than suppressing it or running from it. Because I can be truly present for myself, I can be truly present for those around me, listening deeply to them and speaking words that inspire hope and self-confidence.

Select an apple, hold it, observe it, be grateful for it, breathe, bite it, savour it's juiciness, sweetness and freshness, chew consciously, focus, become fully aware in the present moment and feel your connectedness to the Universe.

At its most essential, the apple you hold is a manifestation of the wonderful presence of life. It is interconnected with all that IS. It contains the whole universe, it is an ambassador of the cosmos coming to nourish our existence. It feeds our body, and if we eat it mindfully, it also feeds our soul and recharges our spirit. Eating an apple consciously is to have a new awareness of the apple, of our world and of our own life. It celebrates nature, honoring what Mother Earth and the cosmos have offered us. Eating an apple with mindfulness is a meditation and can be deeply spiritual. With this awareness and insight, you begin to have a greater feeling of gratitude for and appreciation of the food you eat, and your connection to nature and others. Savouring an apple is mindfulness at work, to help you reconnect with yourself and become healthier in mind, body and spirit.'

Savour: Mindful Eating, Mindful Living by Thich Nhat Hanh ~ Vietnamese Buddist Zen Master, poet, scholar and peace activist.

No comments:

Post a Comment