Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Invitations to Look Deeper


'One of the greatest moments in man's developing experience is when he no longer tries to hide from himself but determines to get acquainted with himself as he really is.' ~ Norman Vincent Peale

I believe painful situations are sent to us as invitations to look deeper inside ourselves. I see these situations as mirrors, where we have the opportunity to see parts of ourselves reflected back at us that we may not necessarily like. Sometimes we get a glimpse of ourselves as others see us. Sometimes it's hard to look. Situations that cause us pain highlight deep facets of our Being that need healing, that may have been suppressed or ignored, urging us to acknowledge them, offering us the gift to work on them.

Instead of just being hurt by a situation, feeling wounded and notching up a grievance or resentment, I am at a place in my healing journey where I am able to dig a little deeper, see the situation as an invitation to change. Even if my heart bleeds a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment