Monday, October 4, 2010

Why Attachment Hurts


'Attachment is based on fear and insecurity. When you forget your true Self ~ which is pure Consciousness, pure potentiality ~ you begin to believe that you need something outside of yourself to make you happy. It’s easy to think: 'I’ll feel good when I have more money in the bank, lose 5 more kilos, find my soul mate, pay off my bills, or (insert your current desire here)...' As you’ve no doubt discovered, getting what you want doesn’t bring security. At a deep level, you know that whatever is bringing you happiness can be lost and therefore has the potential to bring you pain.

The only way out of this dilemma is detaching. You set your intentions and take whatever action is needed, and then relinquish your attachment to the outcome. Here are a few powerful affirmations you can use to practice detachment in your daily life. Choose one or two and practice saying them to yourself throughout the day:

I consciously commit to flexibility and detachment ~ I allow myself and those around me the freedom to be themselves, without imposing rigid ideas of right and wrong ~ I live my life in a state of engaged detachment ~ I release the need to judge or criticise ~ I express myself honestly while releasing any need to impose my beliefs on other people ~ Whenever I notice that I am becoming emotionally attached to a point of view, I take a deep breath and come back to a more centered place ~ I embrace detachment by choosing to be free from the good and bad opinions of others.'

Excerpt from The Chopra Centre's Spiritual Law of the Day - www.chopra.com/dailyinspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment